www.omaruru.com
The Online Guide to Namibia & Travel Shop
African adventure safaris, tours, car rental, fishing trips in Namibia: reservations and country information
Have you ever dreamed of travelling to Africa? Visit the safest, cleanest, nicest and the most spectacular country on dark continent!
Your Great African Adventure starts here!

Omaruru - central-northern Namibia
Small town Omaruru is located 50 km from town Karibib and 230 km from Windhoek, the capital of the country. Set in the heart of game-farm area the town is surrounded by array of mountains with the most prominent, the Oruwe, located southeast of town. Kristall Kellerei, the only winery in the country, is located in Omaruru. The name Omaruru is derived from Herero omaere omaruru meaning "bitter curd" which is apparently how the cattle's milk tested after eating particular bush growing in the area around tow. The first European to reach the area was Hugo Hahn, the missionary who visited it in 1851. In 1868 Herero Chief Zeraua settled in Omaruru although "officially" the town was founded only in 1870 with an arrival of another missionary, Gottlieb Viehe. Famous explorer Charles Anderson, being attracted by plentiful game in the area, established a hunting camp on the banks of Omaruru River in 1858. In 1870, the hunter Axel Eriksson and brewer Anders Ohissen formed a partnership to exploit the game and by 1880 they had succeeded in wiping out all the elephant, rhino, lion and giraffe once living in the area. in 1880s Omaruru was repeatedly attacked in Herero-Nama wars before peace was secured in 1889. The German garrison was stationed here in 1894, the town began to grow since then. The first postal office was opened in 1895. The garrison moved to a new fort, today's magistrate's court. By the end of 1896 Omaruru had the largest population of European settlers in Namibia. The town was besieged in 1904 during the Herero uprising. The military commander at the time, Captain Franke, was away in the south helping to put down the Bondelswart uprising. He marched 900 km in 20 days and broke the siege by leading a cavalry charge and defeating Hereros. Franke's Tower was built in 1907 to commemorate the event. Omaruru received full municipal status in 1909.
Accommodation in area
: Omaruru Game Lodge, Epako Lodge, Hotel Staebe, Immenhof, Erongo Wilderness Lodge.
Festivals: Every year on the last weekend before 10 October the Herero hold a march to and from the cemetery where a former leader Wilhelm Zeraua is buried.
Phone code: 064. Police: 10111.


ALPHABETICAL LISTING OF ACCOMMODATION ESTABLISHMENTS
ACCOMMODATION ESTABLISHMENTS WITH CONFERENCE FACILITIES
LIST OF ACCOMMODATION ESTABLISHMENTS REGISTERED WITH MINISTRY OF TOURISM
Namibian Yellow Pages
Namibian Travel Directory Online

Copyright 1998-2012 Elena Travel Services & Car Hire CC, NamibWeb.com - The online guide to Namibia

*YOUR FEEDBACK AND HOW TO CONTACT US
@ Contact
 

*LIST OF ALL TOURS

*TOURS BY COMPANY AND DURATION

*LIST OF ALL FLIGHTS

*ACCOMMODATION BY TOWN/AREA

* ACTIVITIES AND ADVENTURE AT THE COAST

*SERVICES & TOURS

*SHORT TOURS & EXCURSIONS

*RENTALS & HIRE

*ADVENTURE

*SPECIAL TOURS

*BUDGET & OVERLAND

*FLIGHTS

*TRAINS & RAILWAYS

*FISHING & WATER TRIPS

*SAFARIS

*SCHEDULED TOURS

*WILDERNESS SAFARIS

*SELECTED ACCOMMODATION ESTABLISHMENTS

*SHOPPING

*MISCELLANEOUS PAGES

*DOWNLOADS/BOOKING FORMS

 

 

 

*GENERAL & TRAVEL INFORMATION FOR FOREIGN VISITORS

*GENERAL & TRAVEL INFORMATION FOR SOUTH AFRICAN VISITORS

*GOVERNMENT

*COUNTRY INFORMATION

*HEALTH INFORMATION

*USEFUL INFORMATION

*RELATED INFORMATION

*BUSINESS INFORMATION

*INFORMATION AND ARTICLES ON PLACES OF INTEREST

*HISTORICAL ARTICLES

*MILITARY/WAR ARTICLES

*OTHER ARTICLES

*INFORMATION & ARTICLES ON FLORA & FAUNA

*MOUNTAINS, PASSES, CAVES, METEORITES & MINES

*WINDHOEK
*SWAKOPMUND
*KARIBIB
*HENTIES BAY
*TSUMEB

*MAPS

*LINKS

*NAMIBIAN NATIONAL PARKS

*RATES